
Installing electricity lines in Korrumburra, 1911
The Lighting of the Township of Korumburra was the subject of a special committee meeting of the councillors of the Shire of Poowong and Jeetho on the 15th June, 1895, to discuss a proposition made to the shire by a representative of a Melbourne firm for the lighting of the streets and houses by gas. Crs. Mitchell (chairman), Langham, Foreman and Wilson were present. The gas company works in Korumburra to produce gas, to lay gas mains throughout the town, and feeder mains for supplying gas where required. He estimated that the cost of the works would be over £3,000. The committee decided to recommend to the full council that tenders be called by advertisement for town lighting by gas or electricity. At a later stage the council did install gas lights in the town. These were very expensive to operate and not very satisfactory, and, as one man said: ‘These lights served only to make the darkness visible.’
The next move to have electricity in Korumburra was made by the then Korumburra Progress Association in 1902. When the proposal came before the council the suggestion of a loan to finance the scheme was met with strong opposition and was again deferred.

People grouped in front of Power House building. Gathering on the occasion of the switching on of the electric lights ceremony performed by Mrs ME Kurrle
Nothing further was done until 1908 when Cr. Kurrle suggested that the council make arrangements with the Korumburra Butter Factory for the supply of electricity from its generating plant to the town. The K.B.F. made an offer which some councillors thought was reasonable, while others objected. Not to be outdone Cr. Kurrle and Cr. Little by a motion persuaded the council to allow the Korumburra riding to raise the sum of £2,000 for the purpose of installing electricity in the town.
Some councillors objected to the type of generating want which was proposed to be used. Council then instructed Crs. Kurrle and Alp to visit some country centres using electricity and report to the council relative to the types of generating plant in use.
Finally, on the motion of Crs. Kurrle and Adkins, the council agreed to raise the sum of £2,500 for the purpose of installing electricity in Korumburra. During the next 15 months land was purchased in King street. The necessary finance had been found, council had approved the engineer’s plans for the installation, then tenders were invited in March 1910 for the construction of a power house, the installation of the machinery.
A suction gas engine of 75 h.p. and a direct current generator were the subject of a later tender. This contract was won by Wm. McLean & Co. and installed by the company’s engineers under the direction of a Mr. Peters. The installation when completed was officially switched on by Mrs. Kurrle on the 28 July, 1910. Cr. Treadwell, the shire president, declared the building open and quoted figures which showed that the whole undertaking costs £3,281.

Interior of power house at King Street showing generators and machinery that provided electricity for Korumburra.
From “The Gippsland Historical” • Volume 1, Issue 1
0 Comments